This year Sue Beel, Sarah Bellow and Mirella Teague are undertaking an evidence based research project to identify sustainability threats and support needs for community car schemes (CCSs) to ensure those who depend on them can continue to access this vital transport service. Many CCSs were established over thirty years ago, by village residents who wanted to provide lifts, to get to social events and the local GP, for example, to others living in their community.
Over the last few years, the annual survey completed by the CCSs has recorded an increase in demand in general, along with more requests for hospital journeys sometimes at the detriment of social journeys. By undertaking the research, we have the opportunity to evidence the service provided and over the next two years, we can put measures in place to ensure the continuation and sustainability of their valuable work. We will also be sharing our findings with Community Care Schemes to support them in fundraising activities, campaigning messages for recognition from District and County Council’s as well as developing further umbrella support from Care Network.
We have just sent out a questionnaire that we are asking coordinators to respond to, the data from this will be used to design the interview schedule for the forthcoming focus groups that we would like to arrange. If you have any questions please contact Sarah Bellow directly.
If you are involved in the Community Car Scheme as a volunteer or you would like to know more about the Community Car Scheme and how you can get involved please feel free to attend one of the following networking events. You will need to book in advance so our coordinators now to expect you.
Please make a note of these dates in your diary so that you or any of your coordinators can attend our networking events:
- Tuesday 4th June at Hardwick 1.30 – 2.30
- Wednesday 17thJune at Caresco in Sawtry from 2 – 4
- Wednesday 17th July at South Fens, Chatteris from 2pm – 3.30
- Thursday 25th July at Hardwick 10:30-11:30
- Wednesday 25th September at Hardwick 10:30-11:30
- Monday 30th September at Caresco, Sawtry 2 – 3.30pm
- Wednesday 30th October at South Fens, Chatteris from 2 – 3.30
- Thursday 28th November at Hardwick 10:30-11:30
- Monday 20th January 2020 at Hardwick 13:30-14:30
- Monday 20th January at Caresco, Sawtry 2 – 3.30
- Wednesday 29th January at South Fens, Chatteris 2 – 3.30
- Tuesday 17th March at Hardwick 13:30-14:30
We aim for each event to be a two way process and ask that you let us know if there are any specific information or discussion points that you would like us to add to the agenda. In the past this has included: Papworth move to Addenbrooke’s), mileage charged by schemes / expense returns & HMRC, wheel chair adapted vehicles, aids (eg: for higher vehicles), other car aids /equipment.
If you would like to reserve a place please select your geographical location and email the right person;
Community Car Scheme South or Community Car Scheme Hunts and Fenland